Boat moving across ocean simulation

3831   5   0
9 posts
Hi

I am currently trying to simulate a boat moving across an ocean. What I realised was that the water particles are inside the boat itself even in frame 1 and that is a problem. I thought maybe the mesh is too thin and so, I tried to use polyExtrude to make the hull of the boat thicker but that didn't work. I am not sure what else can I fix to get rid of the water particles within the boat. From the Boat Wire Frame picture, you can clearly see that there are water particles going through some parts at the side of the boat. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eunice
Edited by EuniceC - July 5, 2017 23:37:23

Attachments:
OceanBoatSim2.hip (4.9 MB)
waterinboat.PNG (475.7 KB)
BoatWireFrame.PNG (1.0 MB)

471 posts
Hello.
Watch this tutorial:
https://vimeo.com/15490394 [vimeo.com]
Peter learns you how to remove fluid inside of collision object.
9 posts
Nima
Hello.
Watch this tutorial:
https://vimeo.com/15490394 [vimeo.com]
Peter learns you how to remove fluid inside of collision object.

I've looked into that but I don't think increasing the collision geometry on the outside of the boat will do me any good. The thick collision geometry might be able to prevent water from going inside the boat but wouldn't that create a huge imaginary space between the boat and the water particles if I were to increase the polyExtrude the bottom of the boat hull?
9 posts
Here, the purple wireframe is the collision geomtry and the black mesh is the particle fluid surface. I am confused because the particle fluid follows the collision geometry to a certain extend and then it ignores it completely. Why does this happen? Is this because of the collision geometry itself or the ocean surface?

Edited by EuniceC - July 7, 2017 01:38:11
73 posts
It's possible that the particle sourcing step to maintain fluid in the guided layer is putting particles inside the boat. Try increasing the “Layer Size” in the Ocean Source.
Edited by rgoldade - July 7, 2017 10:15:54
471 posts
I provide simple HIP file please look at it.

Attachments:
FLIP Collision.hip (1.9 MB)

• Quick Links