Houdini Sockets Actor Pre-assignement BUG

3096   3   0
67 posts
Doc REF:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_sockets.html#SocketPreAssign [www.sidefx.com]
Pre-assignement
You can pre-assign Actors to the generated socket.
This can be done by adding a string attribute named unreal_mesh_socket_actor containing the name of the actor that you want to assign to the socket. Multiple actors can be pre-assigned to a socket. This can be acheived simply by separating their names with , or ; (commas or semicolons).
The corresponding actors will automatically be attached to the sockets in Unreal upon cook.

——–
Ok. I linked a mesh named SM_Rock that is inside my unreal project (The standard rock that comes inside UE4 Starter Map content).
The Rock is placed in the UE4 World Outliner as SM_Rock.
But when finished cooking the .hda asset… there is no rock placed at point 0 (=ACTOR)
Also tried replacing the string SM_Rock by
StaticMesh'/Game/StarterContent/Props/SM_Rock.SM_Rock'

The Rock is placed in the UE4 World Outliner as SM_Rock
Edited by bhb - July 8, 2017 02:34:07

Attachments:
HOUDINI_UE4_SOCKETS.png (425.2 KB)

Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Yes, this seems like a bug for me, but here's what you can do while waiting for a fix:

Try renaming SM_Rock (the actor in the World Outliner) to something else (like RockActor).

For some reason, the name of an Actor when placed in the world is different than what's displayed in the world outliner (so your SM_Rock actor's name is internally something like SM_RockActor123)
Renaming it forces that name to be what's displayed in the World outliner…

I'll put an update here when that bug is fixed!

edit: Tomorrow's daily build (16.0.666) will have the fix for this !
Edited by dpernuit - July 10, 2017 14:40:00
67 posts
Yes, that is dpernuit.

I discovered what was the problem. Houdini takes the Id_name of the mesh , not the Label name displayed in the outliner.
The problem here is UE4 generates this id_names automatically, making dificult to control what meshes to shown on sockets.

Attachments:
sockets_names_houdini_ue4.jpg (58.2 KB)

Staff
534 posts
Hi bhbilbao,

Yes you're right, that's exactly how the bug was fixed in 16.0.666: by checking both the actor's Name and Label. Before that, we only checked for the Name, which is generated automatically by Unreal.
  • Quick Links