Applying Paint to an Object

1206   0   0
56 posts
Hello-
I'm learning how to apply a stroke of paint to an object. I've added a paint node, and pointed my geometry to it. By default, the object is grey when rendered. I'm trying to use a brush to stroke some red onto the object. I set the color to red in the properties window of the paint node. I think I got brushes figured out.

So I go over to paint my object with the brush. I make sure the object is selected. It doesn't look grey any more (it's blue), but I guess that is because of the colors Houdini uses when you select an object. So I'm sort of painting in the blind. I stroke the object with the brush, and Houdini gives me some nice feedback, that the brush is working, although the color is not what I expected (the color is light blue at first, then turns to gold when I release my trackball). Is there a way to get the program to show you the actual color of the object while you are painting it?

The final result, the rendered image is where I want to see the red color. So I do a render of the area where I painted the object, hoping to see my red stroke on a grey object, but all I see is grey.

I realize this is probably a complicated area of Houdini, and it's hard to help me without looking over my shoulder, but maybe you could point out some things to look for. Or maybe you could refer me to a video about this (I can't find one.)
-Scott
Edited by scottval - July 8, 2017 11:16:08
  • Quick Links