Change resolution breaks pyro sim

2342   4   1
220 posts
Hey!

I believe my problem is simple, so hopefully someone can help. The attached file is a pyro simulation. It runs fine, right? I want a higher res sim, so I go to the smoke object and set the resolution from .08 to .06, and some how it stops working!! If you go to the visualization, you can see that the fuel is there, but somehow there is no heat or temp or anything. What's going on here? How does changing the resolution stop the sim from working?

Thanks
Edited by evanrudefx - July 20, 2017 21:54:43

Attachments:
flame_test.zip (3.3 MB)

Thanks,

Evan
2529 posts
After looking over your file it is probably because you have OpenCL enabled. You can only leverage OpenCL if you follow the rules for OpenCL, which this file does not. Otherwise it just crashes when it runs out of memory which is often the case when you lower the value to obtain more resolution.

Try your 0.06 with OpenCL turned off.

Did you see any messages appear in the Console?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
220 posts
I got it working. I just changed the max substeps from what it was to an increment higher. It seems that combination just didnt work. It was at min4 max 6, I changed it to min4 max 7 and the sim started working.
Thanks,

Evan
2529 posts
I rebuilt your file using your original cached points. After that I can sim at the lower resolution. Maybe try rebuilding the setup. Sometimes that helps lead to success.
Edited by Enivob - July 21, 2017 14:01:59

Attachments:
ap_test.hipnc (899.2 KB)
flames.gif (518.5 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
220 posts
Thanks mate
Thanks,

Evan
  • Quick Links