Can I use an NAS hard drive with Hqueue as the shared folder over internet?

2009   3   1
3 posts
Hello People!

This is my first post here! I wanted to know if I could use an NAS hard drive as the shared folder that Hqueue uses for the clients' files. Is it possible, and if so do I need to set it up differently than if the shared folder was an internal drive on a dedicated machine?

I have two computers to use for the farm. One is mine and the other is a friend's.Both are workstations as well, and I have a Seagate NAS drive connected via ethernet cable in my LAN netowrk. My friend's PC is not in my LAN, but in another building with separate IP/network, etc.
What setup would need to be done to access that NAS as a shared folder. Using Windows 10 and Houdini Indie on both machines, the NAS is visible on my current LAN as it's connected to the router, but I have not yet mapped it as a network drive, so it does not yet have a letter.

While it's not optimal or ideal, it's what we have, so any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
3 posts
Bump. Someone help us out!
258 posts
Yes, it can be used. You do not need to map it(you can if you want), you can use UNC paths…

//my_nas/myProjectFolder/myHoudiniFiles/myhip.hip

Best thing is to also make sure you set the $JOB alias on a per project basis, or use the create Houdini projects stuff
3 posts
Thanks for replying.
Tomorrow we plan on doing the server setup and install, so we will use your answer, and see how it all works then.
After we set it up and it works or runs into issues, I'll write back here with the results, hoping for a smooth install!
  • Quick Links