Converting .stl and .lwo to .bgeo

7087   10   3
119 posts
I`m having trouble converting a .stl file and a .lwo file with houdinis gconvert tool.. its just refusing to load the input files, i wondered if anyone else has had trouble?

cheers.

Mark
7714 posts
I'm not sure what .stl files are but I think Houdini only supports old versions of .lw files. Your best bet is to convert them to .obj in some other application for importing.
2199 posts
I think stl is stereo lithograpghy format - I don't think Houdini will read them at all. sdl yes, stl no.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
7025 posts
Yes, the Lightwave importer only loaded up to Lightwave 5.5 objects.

It's unfortunate that Houdini can't read the vast majority of free objects out there (3DS and Lightwave 6+)…

Cheers,

Peter B
82 posts
A little Bump for a LWO2 support!
606 posts
Seconded!

(and with support for point attributes of different dimensions pretty please

eetu.
7025 posts
What do you mean by point attributes of different dimensions? Just curious…

Cheers,

Peter B
338 posts
Third Lwo2 support, it be great to support the extra weightmaps, colour vertexmaps, endomorph features(brought through as vector attributes with the same names), multi uvs and surface assignments converted to primitive groups.

This would make great support for both lightwave and modo objects which are both heavily used for modelling with across many studios.
Mucho thanks maybe thats a possible feature request for 9.2?
Nick
606 posts
pbowmar
What do you mean by point attributes of different dimensions? Just curious…

Pretty much what niko said, selection sets (0 dim), weight maps(1dim), UV maps (2dim), RGB and morph maps (3dim) and RGBA point maps (4dim).

I made a .geo loader for LW which tries to handle these, but proper support in the other direction would be super..

eetu.
7025 posts
Ah I see.

I'm writing a .geo format saver for another package right now actually, the .geo format is pretty simple though a bit cumbersome (you can't stream out to it, you have to build your data arrays internally first) so if someone knew Lightwave's SDK reasonably well it probably wouldn't take more than a couple of days to do it… that wouldn't be me of course

cheers,

Peter B
89 posts
That is assuming you want to actually use Lightwave at all to do your LWO saving. As mentioned, LWO is a great file format that is being used by other software as well, including modo and cinema 4d.

It is an open well documented and straightforward file format, unlike others, which would be great to be able to load into Houdini.
  • Quick Links