Exporting Simulated Geo

2082   4   0
10 posts
I'd like to have a Houdini asset that has a curve input, translated to a wire simulation, and then baked to geo while in engine. I've already setup the portion for curve and wire simulation (including inputs for collision geometry/settings), but I'm scratching my head at baking it.

My issue is that the assets I've created so far are sop-controlled operations that don't require simulation, so I might be missing that portion of the documentation somewhere.

Is it possible to have an operation that will send the simulated geometry after X frames back as the asset to Unreal?

Thank you in advance.
Staff
534 posts
Hi Sumnera,

I think the TimeShift node should be what you're looking for as it will trick houdini into thinking it's at Frame X.
You could even promote the timeshift frame value to a parameter on your HDA, and control it from within Unreal.
10 posts
That's exactly what I was looking for. Man, I was overthinking that.. I actually facepalmed.

Now the only issue is getting geometry placed in the level passed to Houdini for the simulation to interact with.
Staff
534 posts
For that, just use a World outliner input, you'll have to manually select the geometry you want to send to Houdini, and depending on how your HDA is setup, you might need to change the Keep World Transform checkbox in Unreal.

You can always “debug” the internal Houdini scene by using “File > Open Scene In Houdini”, this will show you how the Unreal geometry is sent to Houdini.
10 posts
Thanks dpernuit! The quick responses are greatly appreciated!!
  • Quick Links