heightfield layers vizualize/textures

3130   1   0
193 posts
hey, i was wondering if somebody can tell me about heightfield layers when i bring in my heightfield via houdini engine. I'm not converting it or anything, so i believe it comes in as a terrain, but i'm wondering how is the best way to deal with my layers in unreal?

I do a heightfield erode, which gives pretty colors automatically in houdini, but I would like to have those pretty colors automatically show up in unreal. unfortunately, i just get grey or i just get the option to load in a single material…

Also, is there a way to utilize the layers to mask out materials in unreal? like, so i could load up different substances for various layers?

thanks.

12++
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

When you bring your heightfield to Unreal via HEngine, it will be automatically converted to a Landscape, and the Heightfield masks will be converted to Landscape layers.

For now, there is no way to get the Heighfield Visualize's pretty colors automatically in Unreal, but you can use the various heightfield masks/landscape layers in a landscape material [docs.unrealengine.com] in Unreal.

Use the name of the different heightfield masks in the Layer blend node (for example, mask, water, debris, bedrock…) and this will give you pretty results quickly!
Once you have a landscape material in UE4, you can have it be automatically assigned to the heightfield by adding the unreal_material primitive/detail attribute to the heightfield, with a reference to the landscape material on it.

Let me know if you have further questions!
  • Quick Links