Pyro smoke - snow/dust sim question

1557   0   1
39 posts
Hi,

I want to sim dust/snow coming from car wheels. There are two ways to make the snow/dust look organic:

A- add noise vel (e.g. curl) to the density source, or

B- add a pre-roll noise vel such that once density is emitted it gets advected by the nosie

My biggest problem with the above methods is their complete randomness, meaning: in one sim the emission pattern looks nice, but the rest of sim looks bad, or vise versa. In my tests, B produces better results, however density keeps advected by the noise no matter how far it's from the source which looks “strange” (my goal is: organic emission, then density diffuses gracefully eventually, i.e. the more time passes the less turbulent it becomes).

Using noises as above is very time consuming and makes feel like I am rolling a dice, each time I change noise parameter and “hope” it will give good result. I am wondering what other artists do to control the sim and produce results quickly for an effect such as effect. A visual reference of what I want to achieve is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLoLGw2noZ3NWU-Wwf1zuZ03fghs5e3atS&v=Mhsct3YavxQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links