Deform Cloth Geo during Sim?

1302   0   1
4 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to create a cloth sim which deforms over time to a set shape, e.g starts off like a “normal” flat flag blowing in the wind, before settling into a pre-determined form.

I watched the Cloth Masterclass for Houdini 12 which shows geometry can be altered(edges/points increased/decreased) during a sim successfully, but doesn't really show how something like this could be done.
https://vimeo.com/58110566#t=4881s [vimeo.com]

I've tried a few different things including using the target deformation and rest shape, mostly resulting in the mesh “glitching”.

the closest I've got to anything “usable” is the flagtest.hip bellow where I used a transform in a Sop Solver to alter the shape, but this limits the final look and seems like somewhat of a “work around” for Houdini.

I also tried making an animation of the the deformation from the original to the final shape and using a sopsolver to bring it in to the sim but this again gave poor results.

I'm quite new to cloth in houdini, so if anyone knows if this is possible or has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Igor
Edited by IllegalCriminal - Dec. 18, 2017 14:00:04

Attachments:
Deforming_Flag_Test.hipnc (202.4 KB)
flagtest.hipnc (1.4 MB)

• Quick Links