Bezier CV´s, Weights and Multiplicity.

4466   3   1
129 posts
I´m trying to figure out how the Font and Bezier Curves works. The Font generates Bezier curves that are most excellent. All smooth curves seems to be made with Order 4 and the straight/linear lines seems to be made of Order 2. So I´m curious on how I replicate the clean point count from Curves. If I create a couple of curves with Order 4 and Order 2 and combine them with first a Merge and then a Join then the Join converts all curves to Order 4 but I end up with more points than generated from the Font. So the Font Sop itself seems to do a better job at combining the various curve types and generating shapes.

My question in this case, is there a better/another option than using Join?

I have been looking in the Help Browser for information on making sharp points on curves. One of the advices is to use point weights for adjusting the CV location, however Extrude do not take CV weights into account for OpenGL display and it does not give predictable renders.

I have included a very simple file that shows various example for building the letter “m” from curves that demonstrates the different results.

Sidenote. One of the conclusion I´ve made thats really cool is that I can make my own font with “symbol letters” to generate fast shapes such as arcs and other architectural shapes. I have not see this anywhere before and I thought to myself that it´s a great time saver for creating custom revolve shapes and extruded forms.

Attachments:
bezierCV.zip (13.4 KB)

129 posts
So, any thoughts on this? I understand if the question may seem a bit odd since joining curves does the work so why even bother. But in the spirit of understanding Houdini a bit more and how fun it is to get to the bottom of things I´m curious on how Houdini from the FontSop outputs a curve that seems like a combination of degree 2 and 4 while maintaining each curve point number in a Join operation.

Perhaps it is a question for the developers?
321 posts
HiNMity
So, any thoughts on this? I understand if the question may seem a bit odd since joining curves does the work so why even bother. But in the spirit of understanding Houdini a bit more and how fun it is to get to the bottom of things I´m curious on how Houdini from the FontSop outputs a curve that seems like a combination of degree 2 and 4 while maintaining each curve point number in a Join operation.

Perhaps it is a question for the developers?

Look at the vertices, i.e. turn on vertex number display, and note that the shapes with the hard corners have doubled-up vertices.

– Antoine
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
Antoine, thank you !

Display vertex number really did the trick, I was starring myself blind on point numbers.

Cheers
  • Quick Links