Print goes wild. Houdini not responding. How to stop the flood in the console?

4237   6   2
118 posts
Houdini freezes and stop responding because it's waiting for the Print Node (in a VopSop) to finish its output to the console.
Do you know how to stop the Print Node to flood the console?
Pressing the CLOSE button on the console doesn't work.

I know I should feed print with less points, so that the printing process ends earlier, but that's not really practical in many scenarios..
Edited by Andr1 - Jan. 29, 2018 07:55:42
2038 posts
I don't do much VOP work so haven't used the Print Node.

But I do use the printf function often in wrangles and yes if I am not carefull, it can slow to a crawl if there is much data 'points'.

Maybe you could post your hip file and give more details of what you want to print out and why;

Someone might be able to suggest an alternative, like filter out the data beforehand, convert data to a ‘test’ attribute for viewing in spreadsheet, or whatever etc.
118 posts
hello thanks for replying,
I'm not doing anything specific with the print node.
I usually use it just for quick debugging to see what results I get at different stages of my VOP network.

As you suggest, it would be useful to filter out the data beforehand, like allowing the Print Node to operate only on a reduced sample pool of points (like 100).
52 posts
I have recovered from what appears to be an endless steam of data being printed to the console. I alternated hitting the esc key and the delete key. The print sop was selected, so the esc interrupt the print and the delete remove the print.
Brad Carvey
900 posts
I tried the the combo Esc\del but it doesn't seem to work on Hou 17.
This unkillable console is very frustrating

Please check this setup. I'm trying to print to console ONLY if the @ptnum equals to 2, but it still prints out every ptnum.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Edited by Andr - Nov. 18, 2018 09:52:41

Attachments:
printIF.JPG (81.9 KB)
Q_print_IF.hiplc (129.0 KB)

159 posts
Hi,
You need to place the print function inside the if block.

Attachments:
Q_print_IF_answer_01.hiplc (132.4 KB)

900 posts
ah, right! it makes sense
Thanks for helping out
  • Quick Links