Create New Vop Type

3169   3   2
82 posts
Hi All………

I am writing a Metal shader, which has a specific pattern on it. I have converted it into a shader and loaded into houdini. This Pattern shader is working fine in Houdini. Now when I do, Right Click —> Create New Vop Type, on the shader, It gives me an error. I tried it with simple Test shader, and it is working. . Have you faced similar problem before?????

——–iamjaideep80
iamjaideep80 (Jaideep Khadilkar)
60 posts
Yeah I get this one as well.
I'm not sure why it actually happens.
My guess is that the compiler doesn't like some bit of code (or naming convention) in the Vop network.

here is my last error message in attempting this:

<unknown> Error(-1): Expecting close brace for block
<unknown> Error(-1): script unknown identifier x1 = x + fwidth;

I've run into this problem many times before with trying to “create new Vop types from a vop network”.
I can't remeber exactly what my previous error message were exactly,
but I know they all contained the “expecting close brace”.

Anyone out there know how to get around this?

thanks

Jim
Jim Ellis
www.emsh.calarts.edu/~jim
60 posts
ok I just tried it without renaming any of the ops or their parmater labels/names.

The same problem.

So it appears to NOT be a naming convention.
Jim Ellis
www.emsh.calarts.edu/~jim
2199 posts
I don't think there is a way around it, except to build the shader as a vop first then make your actual shader out of it rather than going the other way around.
The auto convert thing works great for really simple examples but I've never managed to convert anything remotely complicated. I think they should remove the command and not tempt people to try it.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links