Having trouble with vex espression for a tornado

2177   4   1
12 posts
Hi everyone ,

I'm quite new to houdini and i'm trying to make a tornado.
I first followed this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z19fxCbe2Eg [www.youtube.com] , wich gave me a nice swirling flow.

But my problem with that tornado is that it's swirling around the center and it's not really following our sweep mesh.
I want to make my tornado more like a cartoon tornado, thin at the bottom but wide at the top. So i need to make the normal go away from the center a little bit, because right know they are just going around it.

I think it's possible by changing or adding some lines in the Vex of the pointwrangle, but i don't know what to change  Script is an alien language for me at the moment

Thanks for your help

Attachments:
tornado.hipnc (812.8 KB)

36 posts
Hi BlackBaloo

I may have misunderstood exactly what you're going for, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I assumed you were wanting an ‘eye’ in the tornado as well as a tapering shape. I have attached a revised version of your tornado setup were I used a boolean to cut a middle piece out of the geometry used to generate the velocity; thus giving the ‘eye’. I also changed the ramp found in the ‘sweep_scale’ attribute VOP (that controls the shape). None of the changes were to the VEX code. Once again, I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I'd be happy to help you if its still not quite right.

Attachment Not Found

Attachments:
tornadoRevis.hipnc (781.7 KB)

NineBetween - Moeen Sayed
Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/c/NineBetween [www.youtube.com]
12 posts
Hi Emsyd

Sorry for the late answer

Thank you very much for your revis, it helped a lot, and it was what i was looking for.

I'll continue to work on this tornado, and i might come back to you if i have some difficulties in the coming days

Thanks a lot
12 posts
Well, hello again ^^

I discovered a strange problem
I did a flipbook of the tornado and i discovered that the tornado stop around the 40th frame

There is no keyed parameter so i don't understand why it's stopping

I attached the latest version of the file, and 2 flipbook that show that the tornado stops at a certain frame

Thanks

Attachments:
tornado_v3.hipnc (833.7 KB)
test_[1001-1240].mp4 (2.1 MB)
test_v2_[1001-1068].mp4 (1.2 MB)

12 posts
Well, problem solved, it was the OpenGl simulation that caused trouble

Now i'm tryning to reduce the “bubbly” effect at the bottom, so that the bottom is as smooth and swirling as the top
Edited by BlackBaloo - Feb. 15, 2018 10:56:31
  • Quick Links