Automatic group selection

5343   4   1
3 posts
Hi Team,

I'm a new Houdini user (2 months in) and I have a problem that I'm trying to solve without making the solution too completed.

I'm trying to procedurally group all corners into a group, then top geo, and bottom geo after. I thought maybe the use of the Group Create node with a loop through all the top Primitives with a combination of BBox and YMAX to isoloate the top primitives/points and then use a ray sop to test if there is any geo in below the -Y axis. This would get me only so far, but there is geo below most allot of the adjoining connecting plates.

I cant seem to find a similar example online to work from.

I thinking maybe there is some ‘Houdini Kung-Fu’ that the Masters might be able to assists in recommending a better approach.

To summarize, I'd like to break up the geo into sections of columns, then top geo connectors, and bottom geo connectors.

Any help with this one would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments:
How To Auto Select Corner Unit.jpg (711.6 KB)

1743 posts
I don't have any great suggestions on this specific case. However, a general idea I've found is that it's often easier to create groups as the procedural modelling operations are being done, than it is to take the already modelled geometry and try to procedurally determine groups representing how it was modelled. Of course, that's not possible if you're just handed geometry and are told to do something with it, so it's not always usable advice.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
555 posts
here…it's got most of what you're after, just use the switch at the bottom to see different groups:

- bottom
- outlines
- corners
- connectors

can't be stuffed doing the hollowing out like yours….close enough.

Attachments:
AutoGroups.jpg (129.9 KB)
vu_AutoGroups.hipnc (89.8 KB)

3 posts
Vusta. This is a great match. I'm gonna see if I can patch what I've got with your solution.

Thanks Guys.

Update to follow.

Houdini rocks, just takes time to learn the nodes I guess.
Edited by BlissettDMB - Feb. 14, 2018 05:30:27
555 posts
i just noticed the top left corner is not quite right…but don't think a real building would have such an obtuse corner…
  • Quick Links