Matching Heightfield maps and geometry

247   2   0
161 posts
Hi,

I m trying to find a propper workflow to import terrains into Unreal. When import my 16b fixed png (autoremapped 0/1) into unreal the height does not match the geo in Houdini. Further it would be good to know how i can export import fbx data without Houdini engine to match my landscape (Houdini terrain to UE Landscape).

Help is very much appreciated,

Best,
Lucas
Staff
187 posts
Hi,

The best and easiest way to get landscapes from Houdini is via the Houdini Engine plugin.
This way, you'll be sure that the created landscape size and position will match that of Houdini's heightfield, as all the positioning and scaling will be done by the plugin.

If you'd rather do it manually with images files and FBX, then you'll have to calculate the proper position/scale yourself, see this guide for example [wiki.unrealengine.com].

When matching the landscape and the exported geometry, you'll also have to take into account the fact that Heightfields have a centered origin, but landscapes dont (so you'll have to compensate that with an XY offset), and also offset the Z position of the created landscape, so that its “zero” height value matches Houdini's, or you'll end up with floating geometry.
161 posts
Hi,

Many thanks for the info. Is there a tutorial or example file with some further workflow suggestions.(Houdini Terrain - H-Engine - UE) What parameters should get exposed in the hda. Tips for terrain resolution aso.

Cheers,
Lucas
  • Quick Links