add thickness on render time

1628   1   0
48 posts
Hi, i created snow fall. The snowflake is a flat 2d plane/grid with snowflake texture on it. The problem is because it's a flat grid/card/plane (means has zero thickness) , when the snow is rotating or twirling around and at the time when that plane is parallel to the camera view (so you see a flat line) then it won't visible in the render ? it creates an effect as if the snow is on and off during the falling.

1. How can i fix this the simple way without too much adding too many additional faces/geometry ?

2. How can i fake this in render time so the zero thickness plane (when parallel) will have a thickness so it will be visible in render output.

3. or any other tricks ?

Thanks
69 posts
Seems like you might need to use a 3D model of the snowflake instead. I once tackle an FX shot where there is hundreds of feathers slowly drifting and falling downwards and I initially mapped a feather textures onto a plane which are rigged so it can be curve deformed.

The issue is the lack of any thickness for lighting interaction which the client noticed and ended up modelling a low poly feather which solved the issue.

That was back in Maya though but the method should be applicable to any major 3D software.
  • Quick Links