Houdini Viewport - HMD Connection - Oculus Rift / HTC Vive

8106   9   3
36 posts
Hello,
I am working on a prerendered 360 VR video with Houdini.
We are currently builing our pipeline for this and want to implement a feature that allows to connect the Houdini viewport to an HMD like the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.

Realtime playback speeds are not necessarily that important.

Does anybody have an idea if this is possible and if how to approach it?

Also for proper realtime playback, we want to able to create 360 latlong Flipbooks.
The opengl ROP currently does not seem to support this.
Any ideas on that?

Thanks a lot
Adrian

FX TD @ Animation Institute - Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg
240 posts
Hello,

We do have a VR Lens that lets you render out the 360 images.

Some more information can be found here

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/vr-lens-camera/ [www.sidefx.com]

Luiz
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
36 posts
Hey,
thanks yes I am aware of that and I am also using the VR Cam to do Mantra Renderings.
I want to achieve two different things though.

Get a VR Flipbook with the OpenGL ROP.
And try to connect the HMD directly to the Houdini Viewport, without rendeirng or Flipbooking
10 posts
Sorry for receiving an old thread but as someone working in VR I'm also very interested in this. This would be a very in demand feature for anyone trying to do VR. The spherical camera is great but Houdini is not really a VR-ready tool without a HMD preview either of the viewport, latlong images from a flipbook, or (as a last resort) from the renders would be a great feature.
38 posts
Hi Adrian!
I just made some RnD in this direction:
Vladislav Tushevskiy
http://vimeo.com/heliosalmatea/videos [vimeo.com]
64 posts
Very cool Vladislav! It looks like you've got tracking data working inside Houdini. Is the viewport also being rendered into the HMD?
38 posts
BradThompson
Very cool Vladislav! It looks like you've got tracking data working inside Houdini. Is the viewport also being rendered into the HMD?

There are two approaches to grab houdini scene to do: to render input (or by certain operator path) geometry (since I inplemented the tool as SOP operator) or to grab whole OpenGL scene (from ‘/obj’?) to VR scene. I prefer first approach because it allows to control what exactly to show to user, it is also easy to implement.
Edited by Vladislav Tushevskiy - Sept. 16, 2019 12:57:34
Vladislav Tushevskiy
http://vimeo.com/heliosalmatea/videos [vimeo.com]
10 posts
Vladislav Tushevskiy
BradThompson

There are two approaches to grab houdini scene to do: to render input (or by certain operator path) geometry (since I inplemented the tool as SOP operator) or to grab whole OpenGL scene (from ‘/obj’?) to VR scene. I prefer first approach because it allows to control what exactly to show to user, it is also easy to implement.

This looks great! Any plans on sharing your tools?

Another hacky way of getting a fairly quick preview of a scene render into a headset which I worked out:

Create an IPR window of a locked off fixed size and use OBS to capture that exact window and stream it locally (example here https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-studio-send-an-udp-stream-to-a-second-pc-using-obs.455/)

Send the stream to GoPro VR player which will allow you to view directly with an Oculus.

Of course this require you to run an IPR but using something like redshift which can give almost instant results (albeit noisy and low res) but this is pretty quick for judging things like blocking and stereo depth etc.
Edited by Heks12 - Jan. 2, 2020 19:58:18
36 posts
Vladislav Tushevskiy
Hi Adrian!
I just made some RnD in this direction:

This looks awesome!
Would you possibly share your tool?

Still hoping that SideFX will natively implement this!
36 posts
Please SideFX, Modo & Blender have native support for it, Maya via Plugin.
It would be so great to finally have this in Houdini.

Modo Implementation:
Edited by adrianmeyerart - May 19, 2022 10:30:45
  • Quick Links