H16: Houdini displays geometry even with none visualized

1564   1   0
10 posts
I read of this problem back in H12 but couldn't find a solution.

I'm creating a sophisticated fracture asset which uses some pre-fracture VOP work to create some jagged fracture edges, and a switch between low poly and hi poly for simulation vs. rendering. Upon switching from hi poly back to low poly in order to reset or continue the simulation, Houdini will leave behind an open GL monster of whatever the last state of the hi poly simulation was.

Even upon disabling all nodes in my object context, the open GL monster remains. The issue is purely asthetic, as it will run the low poly simulation regardless of this monster, and when I switch back to hi poly, it will update and act as it should. However, as soon as I switch back to the low poly state, the monster returns. It takes quite a couple arbitrary clicks and changes to settings to get a clean refresh without just reopening the project, even if I do manage to reset the timeline cache and replay from frame 0.

Here's the hi poly mess left over mid simulation after switching to low poly mode and going to frame 0. You can notice that only one geo node is visualized and selected - on top of the mess.

This pic more accurately describes what I mean by open GL monster. This is leftover after changing from hi poly to low poly on frame 0 and running the simulation.

It must be a bug given that it will display with 0 nodes visualized. However, does anyone know of any hard refreshes I can implement into my asset?
Edited by amschuppel - July 7, 2018 22:04:09

Attachments:
Capture2.JPG (259.2 KB)
Capture.JPG (260.5 KB)

2528 posts
Yes, the Houdini viewport does display things wrong quite often. I have encountered a similar problem where I have all my Display flags turned off and objects are still displayed in the viewport. My bad viewport experience typically involves instancing.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links