Game Development Toolset 1.28 update Breaks Redshift

2467   4   1
5 posts
Hello, I'm having an issue when I update my version of Game development toolset.

For some reason is breaking my red-shift installation or ability to load red-shift into Houdini.

If I delete the gamedevtoolset.json file and erase the 3 lines of code related to GDT in the houdini.env, then redshift comes back.

Any idea how I can update GameDevTools without breaking redshift? I've tested 1.28 & 1.27

Anybody with the same issue?
7759 posts
You can't rely on the houdini.env that comes with GDT. You'll need to export HOUDINI_PATH to point to both locations.
833 posts
Here's the solution, this is in OSX and with my own user name path, so you might need to adjust the paths and possibly change the ; to : if you're using Windows or Linux.

# REDSHIFT
HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2
PATH = "/Applications/redshift/bin:$PATH"
HOUDINI_PATH = "/Applications/redshift/redshift4houdini/16.5.571:/Users/Kays/Library/Preferences/houdini/16.5/GameDevToolset/16.5/1.43;&"
Edited by Midphase - Sept. 21, 2018 19:03:10
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
378 posts
Midphase
Here's the solution, this is in OSX and with my own user name path, so you might need to adjust the paths and possibly change the ; to : if you're using Windows or Linux.

# REDSHIFT
HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2
PATH = "/Applications/redshift/bin:$PATH"
HOUDINI_PATH = "/Applications/redshift/redshift4houdini/16.5.571:/Users/Kays/Library/Preferences/houdini/16.5/GameDevToolset/16.5/1.43;&"
That works but you have to do it every time you update the game tool manually. certainly not very elegant. The env should allow for multiple Houdini_Path entries.
833 posts
Well, here's what I do. I copy the houdini.env file before updating, then I run the Game Dev updater, then I delete the houdini.env file that was automatically modified, and replace it with the old one that I copied that I know works. The only thing then is that I need to change the version number that the path links to with the most current version.

It works, but I agree with you, it's not very elegant. Honestly I wish that Houdini would do away with the houdini.env file completely and rather replace it with some sort of preference settings. I hope that perhaps Houdini 17 will address this, but I am not holding my breath that it will.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links