Fluid Type Motion

4393   4   1
74 posts
Hi All!
I was wondering, trying to solve this task, on how to pass maya's fluid motion to Houdini.
One thing i thought, but have not tryed yet to accomplish via particle generation and assigning locators to particle's centroid, then exporting those locators to houdini via text format, like Boujou sends it's tracking locators to Houdini.
But i lack some mel knowledge, and not quite confident yet to start on solving this task.
So my question is, would that really allow those exported locators in Houdini to assign particles to each locator and then use Metaballs as geomtery which constraints to particles in Houdini?
I mean it may sound stupid, but i saw one of the tv commercial, where it stated that they did Clouds in Maya fluid simulation, then they exported that motion into Houdini, where they rendered, i guess with Renderman.
Does it make any sence, not quite sure, maybe because of the speed issue, concerning Fluid simulation plus rendering times.
Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this task, i am asking for theories, maybe workflow to share?
Thanks, hope some of ya got the sence what i am talking about !
166 posts
While working on Thunderbirds ( Le Movie ), the smoke of spacecraft launches where generated in Maya Fluids, cached as a MCFP file and I developed a POP which reads the density and velocity and assigns these to the Houdini particles. A couple months ago, I started to redesign the POP cause it was then to dirty and flaky( nothing left from the original procedures). It is 75% redesigned and there is little to do to finish it. I am doing this on my spare time which I did not have lately. Now if there is some interest… I could finish it…
Time to get out of this messy world.
523 posts
Hello,

yes, that would be great…

thanks,

bern
1390 posts
are you joking man..? :shock:
Everyone is interested!

cheers,
SY.
166 posts
Well as I have a slow down in my work now, I guess, I could finish it. It will be basic, but for the ones who are really really really interested, we can discuss.
Time to get out of this messy world.
  • Quick Links