Select Polygon Edge Boundary, but with Python and/or Nodes?

789   0   0
2 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to replicate the behavior of the “Select Polygon Edge Boundary” viewport selection tool, but with Python and Nodes.

As for noes, the input should be a primitive group, and the output should be an edge group. I've tried to do it with the various group nodes, but couldn't get anywhere.

Ideally I'd like to know if this can be done via python, as that's what I'm most used to, with my Blender addon dev background.
I'm open to hscript and VEX as well, if either is better suited for the task.

In Blender/BMesh, I'd just iterate over the edges in the face group and for each edge, check the polygons on both sides. If only one of the faces is in the face group, I'd know that's a boundary edge.
I could also check for other properties, like the selection state, whether an edge is manifold, etc.

Is there a way to access the geometry like this or similar in Houdini? I'd appreciate any pointers.
I've checked out this asset on orbolt and tried to understand how it is done. I've left with even more questions now, can't even tell why it does anything at all, ha.

I'd really appreciate any pointers in the right direction, resources to study, etc. Thank you!
  • Quick Links