Modeling characters in Houdini?

4386   1   0
2 posts
Hello there,
i have question: im absolutely new in Houdini.So i starting with the (basic) the modeling and looking for some character modeling tutorial, but seems to there is not tutorial for character modeling?
Why not? is “impossible” to model character in Houdini?
I dont want to learn other soft only for modeling, i want to do everything in Houdini if is that possible.

Thanks
Edited by Robert Sivak - Dec. 28, 2018 06:14:14
50 posts
It's possible, it's the same as in other programs, box modeling (knife, polyextrude, polybevel), follow by a subdivide at the end of the chain to smooth the object. Follow any of hard surface modeling tutorials on the GoProcedural Vimeo. for characters any box modeling tutorial from any other program will work, you just have to translate the knowledge.

That being said organic modeling tends to be done more and more in something like Zbrush and less in programs like Houdini, Maya, and Max because sculpting is like play with clay and you can be a lot more free form with your design. Houdini unfortunately still has a very underwhelming sculpting tool set. Cinema 4D and Maya have a lot better ones.

Long story short it's not impossible, you'd just use very classic techniques, which Houdini is perfectly capable of, and you might have to look at an older tutorial on Youtube about box modeling characters from some other program like 3DS Max and translate it. I'd highly recommend looking into Zbrush though to save yourself some time. Model there and then use Houdini for stuff it's great for, rigging, capturing, and adding accessories like clothes, hair, dangly bits, etc.

Also you'll have to retopo coming out of Zbrush and Houdini's new retopo tools will be great for that.
  • Quick Links