Procedural Approach to UV Alignment

1005   0   1
34 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm working on automating some of my hardsurface uv tasks inside of Houdini and I'm currently running into some issues with U and V alignment on cylindrical objects. I'm procedurally generating UV seams based on some edge group parameters for the horizontal seams and doing a find shortest path method for creating the seam down the length of the object. It works great but on some assets I've noticed I get warping with the UV flatten node. I have been fixing these by hand with the align U or V direction tool inside the UV Flatten to align edges of the warped UV islands and make them orthogonal.

I'd love to be able to do this procedurally but I haven't been able to find a way to create alignment groups for shells. I've run each uv island through a for loop and created boundary edge groups, promoted them to vertex groups and tried a few methods to isolate the vertical and horizontal boundary seams but I haven't found a way that works all of the time.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on ways to remove the distortion / warping of the relaxation and generate clean/flat aligned uv strips.

Attachments:
uv_example.png (218.3 KB)

• Quick Links