Creating Tears Welling Up effect in Houdini along with Tears rolling down the cheeks

4385   11   4
5 posts
I Would like to create this same type of effect as in ref below. If someone could help me with it please.

Ref YouTube Link

youtube.com/watch?v=PN5nWJyObio

Timing From - 3:49 - 3:53

Thanxx
385 posts
What have you tried?
5 posts
I was trying to extrude the below faces and give the shape but thats not working out because it is intersecting with the main geometry.

Help me out with the teary eyes FX part…

Tears rolling down the cheek is easy part and can be handled… Only creating the Teary eyes is the main issue
806 posts
I cannot watch the video because it gets replaced by overly stupid advertisements - can you upload it to a professional video service instead?

That said, could you please describe your (technical) problem in more detail: “Tears rolling down cheeks” as such sounds like a liquid simulation - is that the problem? “Welling up” could be a morph/blend shape - is that the problem? “Teary eyes” sounds like a shader problem or maybe a lighting thing - is that the problem?
Where exactly do you need help?

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
5 posts
Hey Marc,

Thank you so much for the reply..

The main problem is

“Welling up” could be a morph/blend shape - is that the problem? – Yes this is the problem

Uploaded the video on vimeo

https://vimeo.com/user27973026/review/326985059/38ce8c2af1 [vimeo.com]

Timing From - 3:49 - 3:53
806 posts
The Vimeo link does not work …

I was able to quickly see the 3:49-3:51 snippet on Youtube before another ad kicked in and I immediately closed the window …

Depending on what “quality” you want (I am not a fan of that style of animation/look), this, to me, actually *does* look like a longish tear-bubble that has been modelled in its biggest shape and then a blend shape/morph has been created to push the geometry into the eyesocket, where it remains invisible until “dialed out”.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
5 posts
Yes that's the exactly the procedure.. but I am not able to understand how to implement it..

As it creates intersections with my original geometry..

since it's a production shot I am unable to share the hip file..

I am not good with modelling as well.
806 posts
Hmm … you see me slightly confused: If it is a production shoot, you surely have colleagues you can ask for modelling help quickly across the table. Intersections with geometry: Yeah, but so what? I mean, the tear is probably getting its own shader/render pipeline anyway, so what problem is intersection causing? You can easily hook the additional tear geometry up to the main mesh object so that transformations are recognized. If the eye area is deformed by a rig, simply add influences from that rig/the weights to the tear model etc.

The thing is: I am incapable of running your production shot for you, that is what you are getting paid for. In order to give you “general help”, I would need to better understand your problem. If the problem is “I cannot do that”, then MAYBE it would be a good idea to create a TEST SCENARIO in which you can try things out, learn how you can solve the problem in a “neutral environment” and apply what you experimentally learned to your production shot, which you get paid for.

But most likely I am just confused.

Marc
---
Good bye.
5 posts
Hey Marc

Thank you so much for the reply.

I shall work on it.

Thank you once again!!
3 posts
Can anybody help me out in same. I want to create tears effect rolls down through cheeks but not able to get a exact effect i need
731 posts
I just did a talk for Montreal Houdini User Group on doing tears rolling down cheeks for the film "Respect" where young Athena Franklin is crying. Here is my approach:

1) Time shift head to rest position
2) Use draw curve on face with draw curve SOP for tear.
3) Use carve SOP to animate tear.
4) Resample for constant point count
5) Using "curveu" attribute from resample SOP, give the tear a proper bulb tear width attribute using a ramp
6) Polywire using "width" to get the general shape, subdivide.
7) Ray SOP to the face using "min distance"
8) Point wrangle with a ramp to blend between the rayed geo and the non-rayed geo to get the bulb on the end and get some thickness back, (the ramp should literally look like a cross-section of a tear)
9) To remove any intersections with head, (which might give you bad shading because tears are transparent), you can check for intersections with a VDB and push the geo out of it.
10) Finally point deform to original animated head.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
38 posts
mrCatfish
I just did a talk for Montreal Houdini User Group on doing tears rolling down cheeks for the film "Respect" where young Athena Franklin is crying. Here is my approach:

1) Time shift head to rest position
2) Use draw curve on face with draw curve SOP for tear.
3) Use carve SOP to animate tear.
4) Resample for constant point count
5) Using "curveu" attribute from resample SOP, give the tear a proper bulb tear width attribute using a ramp
6) Polywire using "width" to get the general shape, subdivide.
7) Ray SOP to the face using "min distance"
8) Point wrangle with a ramp to blend between the rayed geo and the non-rayed geo to get the bulb on the end and get some thickness back, (the ramp should literally look like a cross-section of a tear)
9) To remove any intersections with head, (which might give you bad shading because tears are transparent), you can check for intersections with a VDB and push the geo out of it.
10) Finally point deform to original animated head.

Hey @mrCatfish Thx for the description ! Can I ask you how do you blend between the ray & non-rayed version of the mesh on you step 8 ? Is it with a lerp function, through a ramp ? If it is so, can you describe what code you use, as I'm not so good with vex ?
Edit 1 : I think this could be something like that, after some help on the Houdni Reddit

vector origP = point(0, "P", @ptnum); 
vector rayedP = point(1, "P", @ptnum); 
float ramp = chramp("Ramp", @curveu);
@P = lerp(origP, rayedP, ramp);

I would also be very interested to know how do you push the geo out through a vdb (step 9), but I don't want to abuse of your time. Edit 2 : ok, for this one, don't know if it is what you meant, but using a guidecollidevdb seems to do the trick.

On the other hand, one thing I can't manage very well is the overall "horizontal" shape of the teardrop, as in my reference images, it doesn't appear as a simple line, but it's embossed on the center, and more sprayed on the sides...
Edited by frBorges34 - Dec. 21, 2021 17:51:03
  • Quick Links