Scrolling frame range with TOP in SOP context is laggy.

2784   7   0
209 posts
Hi,

A simple scene with TOP (including ‘ROP Geometry Output’ node with generated workitem) in SOP context will slow down scrolling frame range. It is not a serious issue but would be nice to know why it is going on and why it is only in SOP context?

(build 17.5.200)

Thanks
Ostap
Edited by Ostap - March 27, 2019 22:40:09
544 posts
Possibly if the TOP is somehow triggering a simulation, and “all frames in 1 batch” is not turned on? Just guessing here, but a scene file would go a long way to helping sort this out.
- Ken Xu
209 posts
Sorry for the delayed response.

Strange that I have regenerated workitem when I scroll time frame (related only to the SOP context, maybe that what is slowdown whole process)
Can you please take a look at example hip?

Thanks
Ostap

Attachments:
slow_scroll_in_sop.hipnc (82.8 KB)

544 posts
It’s because the topnet is sops is always marked as time dependent - so it’ll serialize task graphs to disk no matter what. We’re looking to put some options on that node to allow better control of it.
- Ken Xu
209 posts
Thanks for the explanation.
I thought that the behaviour of TOP networks is the same no matter where
544 posts
In the context of SOPs the TOPNet in that context is specialized to be able to be inlined with SOPs - you'll notice the input and output on it that is not on other “pure” TOPNets. We used to call it the TOPSOP, but some have felt it more consistent to name it just Top Network. So it does have some specialization to work with SOPs, and we're putting some more work on this node. The above mentioned is some of that.
- Ken Xu
Staff
585 posts
This issue will be fixed in tomorrow's daily build of 17.5.
209 posts
Thank you for fast feedback!
  • Quick Links