Indie Restrictions + Render Farms + 3rd Party Engines?

1500   0   0
6 posts
I have some questions about 3rd party render engines in combo with render farms.

I work in Octane a lot, mostly using a cobbled together in-house farm of GPU's - but often i need more. In theory with Octane i have to use the ORC (Octane Render Cloud) infrastructure which requires the ability to export an ORBX file - but the Octane/houdini devs tell me that has been restricted for indie license holders due to the 4k restrictions of the indie license. When i ask about this i get a standard blurb that sidefx themselves placed this restriction on exporting ORBX files.

So this in theory rules out ORC alltogether and leaves me with little choice but to rent barebones GPU servers - but as i can't transfer my houdini licenses temporarily to those systems to render this is also ruled out

I've found only one company that can render my Indie + octane scene files so far and no idea how legit this is.

As an micro indie studio i really need a bit of render farm love - what gives? There must be a better way for Otoy + Sidefx to support the Octane render eco system. Is there another way around this? or a different option i've not considered? I see with Mantra you can render in the cloud no problem, why not in 3rd party engines?

If there's no other options I suppose i'm looking to change render engines so i can have some potential to scale rendering power when needed, maybe redshift, or arnold. For anyone using those - how does it work with render farms and indie licenses? Do you run into the same problem with Redshift Proxies for example? Are they disabled for Indie users? or do they just work differently? How about Arnold? any gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks,

Paul
  • Quick Links