Using VOP COP2 Generator output in texture map path, using op:

3149   4   0
196 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to use a VOP COP2 Generator in the /img/ context and then reference the result in the /obj/ context, in a texture map node that feeds into a principled shader.

Is this possible?
the docs say yes, but I cannot get this to work: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/io/op_syntax.html [www.sidefx.com]

Any input welcome!

Thanks,
m.
13 posts
Without seeing your file, it's hard to see what's going on. But why don't you just try going to the ‘textures’ tab in your principle shader and check on the base color / use texture checkbox. Point to your COPs image using this syntax:
op:/img/comp1/COP_OUT
Good luck!

~Ilan
Edited by Ilan Gabai - June 23, 2019 20:37:44
196 posts
Hi,

thanks for the input!

I have attached the example now. I do get the preview of the color in the viewport (need to click into the viewport to refresh!), but not when I render (Mantra), there I get an error in the console.

Note: I have placed the cop2net within the obj context (next to the geo1).

matt

Attachments:
cop2Mat.hip (368.7 KB)

196 posts
Hi all,

I went ahead and asked support. The setup is correct except that no UV coords node can be plugged to the principled shader from the outside.

Reason why UV coords cannot be connected (from support):
“This has to do with the new materials and the way they work…
Because the principled shader is already a material with parameters promoted (not just a vop node), you cannot connect parameters into it. You will need to do so inside the principled shader (and promote the parameters to the top, if necessary).

I have attached a working file to this post (17.0, build 497).

Wanted to share this, hope it helps others.

Cheers,
matt

Attachments:
cop2tex.hip (358.5 KB)

13 posts
Hey, sorry for the late reply, I don't check back here often enough. Thanks for sharing that info here.

~Ilan
  • Quick Links