Houdini Renderman tutorial?

3443   5   0
523 posts
Hello ,

is there somewhere a tutorial that explains and demonstrates this?:

RenderMan Shader Builder

Houdini’s VOP shader building has a separate context for creating RenderMan shaders. In this context, shading artists can create RenderMan shaders interactively, using a node-based system, without writing code. The shading network is built up of pieces that represent snippets of native RenderMan code, which means that the resulting shader is not a conversion of a Houdini shader but a properly coded, clean and optimized RenderMan shader.

thanks in advance,

bern
4140 posts
I'm not near Houdini right now in terms of pointing you to specific examples, but it basically offers node based shader building, just like the VOP shaders, but exports renderman shader code instead of VEX. If you're familiar with shading with VOPs(which has some help entries), then it's the same deal, except of course the shading language is different and you'll need to be somewhat familiar with it to do much useful with it. I suspect that's why there's no examples per se - it's expected you're an rman user to have much use for it.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
523 posts
JColdrick
I'm not near Houdini right now in terms of pointing you to specific examples, but it basically offers node based shader building, just like the VOP shaders, but exports renderman shader code instead of VEX. If you're familiar with shading with VOPs(which has some help entries), then it's the same deal, except of course the shading language is different and you'll need to be somewhat familiar with it to do much useful with it. I suspect that's why there's no examples per se - it's expected you're an rman user to have much use for it.

Cheers,

J.C.

Thanks JColdrick,

When I go to VOPs and lay down a VEX surface shader, go in to it and connect a Stone vop to the Output vop…I can Create New Shop from VOP Network.

Now when I lay down a RSL Surface Shader and do the same as above, I can Not create a New Shop From Vop Network. It's not in the menu.

How can I create a ‘Renderman’ Shop to use with Houdini?

thanks,

bern
4140 posts
Just drag from a VOP onto some geometry in the viewport…

J.C.
John Coldrick
523 posts
Thanks,

there is some anoying pop-up window (Houdini console), that allways say “gzio: Invalid argument”

Every time you do something connected to PRMAN , this window will pop up.

Is there a ‘cure’ for this?

bern
4140 posts
Dunno.

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links