Import export FBX from Max to Houdini and back

3718   2   2
12 posts
My problems come when I am importing skeleton from 3ds max, where whitespace are allowed in name convention for example (bone L hand) so modifying animation and export back Houdini adds “_” instead of “ ” and bone name become (bone_L_hand) importing in 3ds max skeleton with different name required renaming, is there a solution where Houdini keep name of bones as they come from 3ds max? I noticed that Houdini don't like whitespace in strings

Thanks in advance.
806 posts
Moin,

I don't think that you can get around Houdini's dislike of white spaces (or any 127-bit-ASCI-exceeding characters for that matter).
What I would probably do is use AD's FBX converter tool to write an ASCII version of the FBX before importing it into Houdini, then use the same to convert a binary FBX back to ASCII, do a rename of the bones and convert back to binary. You can do that from inside Houdini.

Marc Albrecht
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
12 posts
Thanks malbrecht

I will try this

Best regards
  • Quick Links