Help needed! How can I setup painted control over integers?

562   0   0
1 posts
Hi!

First post here! I'm new to Houdini. I'm loving it so far but I've run into a roadblock which has stopped my fun! I'm hoping one of you will have some ideas.

I've setup a scene where I can paint with a brush to control the size of the boxes on my grid. However when I wanted to start using the @Cd to control the number of copies in the copy node, everything breaks. Having a little background in shader writing I want to guess that this is because the scale is a float vector so the data plugs in fine, but the “number of copies” in the copy and transform node is an integer and can't accept the data being passed through @Cd?

How would I go about stacking boxes( to be replaced later with skyscraper/building floors) with control over the number of stacked objects via painted weights? I was able to set this up to work with a random value but I really want artistic control over the number of stacked copies.

For context I should probably mention that I'm trying to setup a sci-fi city where each cube(building) on the grid will be replaced with a custom sweep profile and then stacked on top of each other to create each “story/floor” I assumed using the copy node with number of copies and a translate value of 1 would do the trick but I'm definitely not attached to the idea if someone has a better one please do share!
Edited by joelDurham - Dec. 19, 2019 14:12:51

Attachments:
numFloorsTest.hipnc (303.2 KB)

• Quick Links