Extruding a Semi Sphere

2433   4   1
5 posts
Hello, I have a semi sphere as shown in the attached image. Using the polyExtrude, I want the extruded primitives to move straight downwards as indicated by the three arrows. At the moment it is extruding as the second image which is not what I want. Any help is highly welcome.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Extrude Sample Edit.png (80.4 KB)

8538 posts
instead of Distance use Transform Extruded Front in Global space
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
378 posts
tesntry
Hello, I have a semi sphere as shown in the attached image. Using the polyExtrude, I want the extruded primitives to move straight downwards as indicated by the three arrows. At the moment it is extruding as the second image which is not what I want. Any help is highly welcome.

Thanks!
I assume you are trying to extrude the edges. There is an easy trick that lets you use the distance: Add a polygon to the cut and extrude that. You can delete it later. It's a classic modelling procedure.
Edited by OneBigTree - Jan. 4, 2020 00:33:06

Attachments:
Annotation 2020-01-04 062909.jpg (376.5 KB)

2038 posts
I assume you are trying to extrude the edges. There is an easy trick that lets you use the distance: Add a polygon to the cut and extrude that. You can delete it later. It's a classic modelling procedure.

Instead of deleting, one could just merge and fuse the results.

However, tamtes' is the ideal way. Not only are you using less nodes/set up(e.g. Point Normals specific for extrude direction), to create the end result - you have much more flexibility(parms ready for manual adjustment) with the manner in which too extrude, i.e. not completely straight down in your example, but also twisting(through rotations), scaling, etc.
Edited by BabaJ - Jan. 5, 2020 15:46:31
5 posts
Thank you Tamte and OneBigTree for your replies. It is highly appreciated. @BabaJ I appreciate the explanation, it is all very helpful for a learner.

Attachments:
Hemisphere Extrude.PNG (234.8 KB)

• Quick Links