SOP Import and Point Instancer Examples

2963   3   5
341 posts
Hi
So these nodes are doing a lot of work, and documentation is very basic.
Great examples would describes the connection between choices a user does and the result of those choices.

Feels like we should have example files of how to
- Import Geometry, how does attributes travel from SOP's to USD (LOP's)
- Packed Geometry, different ways of getting them in, as a lot of content is coming from there
How to prepare your packed geometry vs geometry to retain Name and Path from SOP's
Where do my attributes end up?

- Point Instancer, different examples of the three main modes, first input, second input (all prims) and second input (selection)
- How to hide exemplars?
- How to use name attribute to copy exemplars on to specific points

So what I am asking for is more examples how to use it, beyond copying a pigheads to points

Examples I would love to see
ForEach loading from SOP's and generating Exemplars
A layout that moves and changes number of Exemplars
And all the examples we had during the beta period, they where great

Thanks
Jens Martensson
Effects Supervisor @ Weta FX
341 posts
And, how to hide an instance in USD using point attributes, tried ‘hidden’, “visibility”
Can do it with a LOP Wrangler, based on some arbitrary attribute from SOP, but it seams like
something somebody would do a lot
Cheers
Jens Martensson
Staff
727 posts
From https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini18.0/solaris/sop_import.html#packed_prims, [www.sidefx.com] SOP Import will translate the packed prim visibility intrinsic (e.g. from Packed Edit) to the equivalent USD visibility setting. For point instancers, that's the invisibleIds attribute
341 posts
Hi Chris
Thanks, I do wanna have a deeper dive then just that
Sop Import is the point of failure in many cases when asset brought into Lops from Houdini and not some external usd library
So having a lot of examples helps, and more technical documentation where attributes end up in Lops is crucial for most Houdini artist to learn how to use Lops. I hope this makes it more clear, when I mean more docs and examples
Jens Martensson
  • Quick Links