Rigging and Wight maps for tall objects

1675   3   1
21 posts
Hi there,

first time rigger here, but not for the usual stuff, but for some kind of long and open straw that I want to animate the opening and closing.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem thanks to the nice tutorials I have found, but I can't get the weight map getting through all points in the Y direction. I have tried experimenting with a simple tall wall and the best I could come up with is to duplicate my rig along the y axis so that the influence is equal. That seems to work OKish, but if there is a better way I would like to know Having one clean rig would be way easier to handle.

Edited by Palipala - Jan. 19, 2020 19:19:23

Attachments:
tallwallrig.jpg (47.9 KB)
tallwallrig_color.jpg (75.2 KB)

21 posts
Me again, I think I may have found a more elegant solution with the Paint Capture Layer Node.
Two things bother me though (+2 more ):
1. One time only I managed to paint a region with strg+middle mouse, I cannot reproduce it.
2. If I paint the weigh maps like I want, they only display when I enter the capture layer node again. If I'm out in the bone-deform node it shows the old map again but works correctly. Is there a way to have the new map displayed?
3. Is there a way to create the map by selecting the points/vertices from the top view and bind them to a bone? This would make things a lot easier.
4. Is there a command to smooth the adjacent edges?

thanks for your help (hope so)

Philipp
Staff
3455 posts
hi
you may want to watch this:
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/rigging-series-2-capturing-geometry/ [www.sidefx.com]

and post back with any other questions you have, or post the hip file and we can figure it out together.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
21 posts
goldfarb
hi
you may want to watch this:
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/rigging-series-2-capturing-geometry/ [www.sidefx.com]

and post back with any other questions you have, or post the hip file and we can figure it out together.

Hi, I did, at least the first hour It's a very nice tutorial I will have top watch completely. But right now I'm in a little of a hurry. I could have done it in Blender, but I thought why not give it a chance with Houdini, has to happen someday

I think I have it quite ok now. I used the greatness of Houdini for it. I first squashed the object by a y factor of 0.02 first, so that the capture region perfectly fit the object. Then, after the capturing process, I simply added a new transform node and stretched the result by a factor of 200 and I got a perfect result after a little tweaking of the weight parameters.

After this project I will surely finish the tutorial and hopefully be able to answer the questions myself, and if not, will ask again
  • Quick Links