USD Materials with time samples on inputs

3992   4   5
7740 posts
Some materials rely heavily on animation to drive effects such as noise textures. This is typically done with an animated parameter on the material representing scene time.

I have tried to recreate this in LOPs using a an edit property lop to add time samples to a material input. The created USD look correct and the animation of basecolor works with Storm. However, in other delegates I have tried such as Karma, only the default values are used, and the time samples are ignored.

If this will eventually be supported great, but if not, what is the preferred method for material animation? Must we only rely on primvars for this purpose? Will there be an importable global for karma materials representing scene time?

Attachments:
mat_test.zip (97.1 KB)

Staff
4435 posts
If it works with Storm, then the required information is getting through hydra to the render delegate. Which almost certainly means it's a bug in the render delegate(s) that aren't updating.
7740 posts
mtucker
If it works with Storm, then the required information is getting through hydra to the render delegate. Which almost certainly means it's a bug in the render delegate(s) that aren't updating.

Okay, I thought it was a good sign that it worked with storm. Do you want me to submit bugs for Karma and HoudiniGL? I'm not sure what to do about 3rd party delegates that it doesn't work with. I only tested it with 3delight's.
Staff
5156 posts
There are no material or rprim syncs occurring when I move the slider, so this seems like a hydra deficiency to me, that somehow Storm is working around (possibly always re-eval'ing the material at draw time?).

Edit: Renderman also doesn't update. All of them update if I display materialLibrary2, dive inside, and change the color on the diffuseColor node (RM, GL, Karma, Storm).
Edited by malexander - Feb. 6, 2020 14:45:05
1 posts
Hello, I was wondering if there have been any updates on this one. I'm currently trying to test some USD Materials in Redshift/Solaris, and haven't had any luck with getting animated noise nor image sequence textures to work.

Houdini: 18.0.348

Thanks in advance.
  • Quick Links