Best practice to have a shelf/menu to auto load a hip file

2025   2   2
642 posts
Hi

I am trying to work out the best way to store a few HIP files as templates for my students, and for them to be able to auto load them triggered by a custom menu command/shelf button. I have HDA's covered for other things.

Looking at existing shelf tools they seem to be python commands. I have found a few examples of this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6NyECDwpk [www.youtube.com]

Before I start digging around, I wanted to make sure this would be the best way to import hip files like my screengrab.

Best

Mark

Attachments:
exampleHip.JPG (25.1 KB)

7024 posts
Hi Mark,

Importing a .hip file is fairly easy, just “merge” a whole .hip file.

However, how you store and track the .hip file is IMO the tricky part. Do you have an asset system or database? If so, registering the .hip file as an asset is probably the way to go.

If you don't have such a system, some sort of storage area with a (possibly simple/basic) interface could be set up, as crude as a directory or directory structure that some Python lists. Won't scale well but would be fine for a smaller setup.

You can also do the partial .hip file like in the video (hcpio) but it's a bit more work and may not be necessary if your template .hip files are simple and clean.

Hope that's useful!

Cheers,

Peter B
642 posts
Hi Peter. Thanks for all the pointers. Lots of ideas to follow-up. Best mark
  • Quick Links