HEngine SessionSync for Unity plugin (Houdini 18.0.499)

3226   3   0
571 posts
A special treat for you all with the recent Houdini 18 Production build which has lots of goodies, but specifically the new SessionSync feature for Unity plugin (which replaces Houdini Engine Debugger): https://www.sidefx.com/community/houdini-18-backport/#viewport [www.sidefx.com]

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/_session_sync.html [www.sidefx.com]

Give it a spin and let me know how it goes.
14 posts
Found a pretty bad bug: If you sync to a Houdini Indie session, it occasionally kicks you into Education mode. Then, if you try to save, you get .hipnc files.

Also, if you quit a session in Unity, the Houdini session deletes everything in the scene.

Lost a bunch of work that way… ugh.
571 posts
The Education downgrade has been fixed in Houdini 18.0.522 and newer.

As for SessionSync clearing the scene, it was intentionally done for the previous Houdini Engine Debugger. But we'll be looking at improving it in the near future.
2 posts
Maybe related to SessionSync clearing the scene, I'm noticing that during a Unity build, my connected Houdini object graph is reset, losing all of my Houdini side object data.

1. I create a Houdini Project and Unity project that I expect to be associated through SessionSync.
2. In Houdini, I start a SessionSync session.
3. In Unity, I connect to Houdini.
4. In Unity, I create a Geo node (geo1). It shows up in Unity and Houdini.
5. I save both the Unity project and the Houdini scene.
6. In Unity, I Build and Run. The build is successful and although the geo mesh is still there in Unity, the geo node in Houdini disappears.

I know I can save the Node in Unity manually and then re-load it using ‘Load NodeSync’ in the HoudiniEngine tab in Unity, BUT this seems like an odd and burdensome way to persist project state in/between Unity and Houdini.

Is there another way for Unity and Houdini project state to be maintained automatically through normal project save/load mechanisms? If not, what is the recommended workflow to manage synced Houdini geo nodes using SessionSync if I intend to often build, save and reload projects?
  • Quick Links