Normal to have different results Viewport vs Offline? (SSS)

2378   6   0
71 posts
Hey, been playing around with the new updates.

When i render in the viewport, takes around 5-7 minutes which is nice.
Offline, can take around an hour (the image with the black background).

Things are still noisy.

And the results are imo wildy different to the point i cannot judge the result based of viewport alone.

Is this by design or is this a discrepancy?

cheers
Edited by abvfx - June 19, 2020 03:18:54

Attachments:
emily_SSS_karma.jpg (391.5 KB)

Senior Groom TD @ Industrial Light & Magic - abvfx [abvfx.me]
Staff
418 posts
The differences are likely due to firefly clamping (“Color Limit” parameter). In 18.0, karma offline rendering uses per-component sampling which takes multiple SSS samples per camera ray and averaged, so spectral scattering with high amount of contrast is less likely to get clamped and cause tonal shift. You can increase “Color Limit” to fix the problem in IPR. There's currently a bug in 18.0 where changing this parameter seemingly doesn't do anything unless you restart the render - we'll be addressing it very shortly.
12433 posts
Needless to say, offline and interactive rendering need to look identical, color-wise and contrast-wise, without the artist needing to manually ensure settings line up to make this true (e.g. having Color Limit affect offline rendering only). Most tweaking will happen using the interactive mode and so having the look change when rendering offline is highly undesirable. Coarser sampling may be acceptable for interactive purposes in some cases, but definitely not color shifts like this.
Edited by jason_iversen - June 19, 2020 19:44:15
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
418 posts
Agreed. This (among others) is the reason why next major release of karma will have a setting to decide the sampling behaviour so that both IPR and offline rendering produce identical result.
71 posts
Thanks for the responses guys
71 posts
Houdini 18.0.503 Fixed a bug in karma where changing Color Limit in display options would sometimes fail to update in IPR.

Cheers guys, gonna test it
71 posts
Partially Tested.

Looks almost identical already. And IPR for me has sped up a lot.

The color limit was set to 10 on both. Those fireflys are almost non-existent. The SSS effects has diminished but i will tweak that. Massive step forward in my eyes.

Great job.

These images are at 100% btw
Edited by abvfx - June 22, 2020 04:19:45

Attachments:
emily_SSS_karma2.jpg (279.4 KB)

• Quick Links