Difference between hython and hbatch in caching speed

1636   2   0
94 posts
Hi,
I am currently making a tool which will allows me to cache nodes without opening houdini in a custom GUI.There is a difference of speed between the caching if I am using either hython or hbatch. This is what gave me my processor usage when caching with hython:

Whereas if I am using hbatch, this is what I currently have:

Also, this is visible in the time the caching took. For the exact same scene, hbatch takes 2min for 4 frames. For hython, it is taking 4min for 4frames, which is twice the amount of time. The scene on which I am currently experimenting is a High res flip sim.
You can find attached the python script I am using (which is really basic).
Any idea if this is a limitation of python or is it coming directly from Houdini?
By the way, I tested the script with both python2.7 and the beta version of Houdini with python3. And my OS system is Windows

Thanks for the help
Edited by Matthew05 - June 25, 2020 15:12:06

Attachments:
batch.py (312 bytes)
hython.JPG (93.5 KB)
hbatch.JPG (94.1 KB)

4 posts
I'm also very interested in this since I'm currently investigating my workflow options.
Did you find any solutions / explanations?
94 posts
Hi Ceonsamea,
Sadly I didn't find any logical explanation as to why it's doing this. The workflow I found out is to start hbatch in a new process from my python script. It doesn't change two much, as the commands are similar
  • Quick Links