Keyboard shortcut to press Apply for Edit Expression Dialog

969   0   1
16 posts
Hi there,

(on Windows 10, Hou 18)

This is a small UX thing. When I work in the Maya script editor, I frequently press Ctrl + A, Ctrl+ + Enter to execute code I just changed. When I make a change on a Shader Toy shader, I can press Alt + Enter to update the shader preview. This is great because I don't have to switch hands from keyboard to mouse to press apply, then back to keyboard to continue editing.

My goal is to find a way to do this for the parameter Edit Expression window. I'd like to be able to make a change to my Python expression, then use only the keyboard to press Apply, or Accept.

I am not sure how to “tab advance” focus from the parameter expression text entry UI component, since this inserts a tab in the expression text. Even if try to give the Apply button focus (By depressing “Apply”, but moving the mouse away from the button and releasing, which in some UI toolkits moves the tabindex “focus” to that button) in order to “activate” it with Enter key, there doesn't seem to be a visual representation of button focus on Apply or Accept, and I don't seem to be able to press them with Enter.

Does anyone know a keyboard only way to do this? It's just a flow thing…
  • Quick Links