Texture/Mask/Displacement Painting HDA, WIP

53986   199   11
75 posts
Would this help? https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/face-it-will-gemini-man/ [www.fxguide.com]
136 posts
Oh yes, very impressive work right there. I feel like that's a whole other type of development though. For now, I'll put it on the maybe pile
75 posts
What do you think of adding something like this to your scales workflow?

Attachments:
08_RepTile_Scale_Test_01_InitialTest.mp4 (1.4 MB)

136 posts
yes, thats definitely something in the works !
75 posts
You mentioned issues rendering a large number of scales. Have you considered turning them into primitives? https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/model/primitives.html [www.sidefx.com]
136 posts
Hey Bennel,

what do you mean exactly ?
75 posts
I mean turning them into lightweight geometry.
136 posts
Right, I see, but that happens after, so that won't speed up the geo creation process
75 posts
Oh. I hope you'll come up with something.
136 posts
Thanks ! I'm looking intto opencl and using that to speed things up I already have the opencl speed gain with the smoothing part of the sculpt tool. If I can get my head wrapped around the whole opencl thing, I might be able to speed a lot of other things up, intersections, finding nearpoints, etc..

Performance isn't bad btw, it just drops to about 10-15 fps with a lot of scales. I'd like it to be as smooth as possible
Edited by Wout Tengrootenhuysen - Nov. 3, 2020 10:38:19
75 posts
How's it going with the opencl?
136 posts
Hi Bennell,

haven't looked into yet lately, I'm doing some commissioned work at the moment
75 posts
Would this paper help you in developing your HDA when you're back to working on it?

Attachments:
Generation of Organic Textures with Controlled Anisotropy and Directionality.pdf (364.3 KB)

136 posts
Perhaps, I'm a little out of it at the moment, Let's see when I get back into it
75 posts
What about using subdivision surfaces for smaller scales and render them as scales using displacement at rendertime?
136 posts
Maybe, yes, thing is, I do my rendering in Octane, so I'm not familiar with Mantra..
75 posts
I read about rendering subdivision surfaces with displacement from the RepTile paper I gave you and a paper about procedural mosaic arrangement. It describes a vector shader used for geometric tiles. Would perturbing normals be possible for your HDA?

Attachments:
Procedural Mosaic Arrangement.pdf (2.2 MB)

136 posts
I have thought about shaders / Octane OSL because doing things like this on the GPU would give a lot of possibilities and speed improvements but it is a different approach entirely. So another one for the maybe pile
136 posts
Yes yes yes, super cool. I had a moment of inspiration an decided to try a completely new approach. Instead of creating the geo and then finding the intersections ( which works but is too slow for my liking) I am now actually growing the scales which gives very nice and beautiful results and on top of that it is much faster !! Yaaaaaaaaay
75 posts
Great! Can you show that?
  • Quick Links