tops overlay text problem

3216   7   1
22 posts
Hello,

I am having an issue using the Overlay Text top. I want to overlay the text on my wedge renders and it is taking a really long time to render. I have no idea why since I am running a powerful machine with 48 processors and 128 gb of RAM. I'm not sure why this is happening. I will attach my scene file if anyone wants to take a look.

Thank you

Attachments:
pdg_layertext.hipnc (960.6 KB)

22 posts
anyone have an idea on how I cant fix this. Was hoping to get some advice.

Thank you
Staff
581 posts
What sort of performance difference are you seeing between PDG vs. a regular ROP Composite?

Using the file you attached, it takes my machine about 20 seconds for the plain ROP Composite node to cook 120 frames of one of the wedges. When cooking one of the wedges with TOPs, it takes around 25 seconds to cook 120 frames. Its expected that PDG takes a few seconds longer because the work item cooks out of process, and has to start a hython process that loads the .hip file.
22 posts
Thank you for the reply.

I did a comparison with the ROP Comosite node and the Overlay Text and i'm still getting the same long render times. It is averaging out to around 4-8 minutes a frame. I took some screen shots for you to see.

Thank you

Attachments:
rop_composite_CookTime.jpg (242.5 KB)

22 posts
Here is a screenshot of the overlay text node render times .

Attachments:
overlay_Text_CookTime.jpg (283.2 KB)

603 posts
What version of houdini are you running and what version is your license server ? (sesinetd.exe)
22 posts
Houdini Version:
Houdini Apprentice Non-Commercial 18.0.532

License server: 18.0532 . I am looking in the Houdini License Administrator >Server Information , under Version column it says 18.0.532. Hopefully I am checking correctly.

Thanks
603 posts
I wasn't able to reproduce this slowdown, but there are a few things to check:
- Try with a more recent daily build of 18.0 for both license server and Houdini( 18.0.538+ )
- Try disabling any firewall or anti-virus you may have running
  • Quick Links