Cluster by budget

1183   1   0
79 posts
I have a bunch of points that I'm trying to cluster together based on position and budget. Similar to what the cluster SOP is doing, but I want the sum of the budget attribute values in each cluster to be as close as possible to other clusters.

For example, let's say I have 1000 points with random budget values and when we sum the budget values of all the points, we have total of 20,000 units and we want to split those points in 100 clusters… Then the sum of the budget of each cluster should be as close as possible to 200 units. I don't care how many points are in each cluster. Some could have 1 or 2 points and another could have 50 points, I just want to make sure a cluster is as much as possible neighboring points and that the sum of their budget is as close as possible to 200 units.

Any suggestions how I should go about getting these kind of results? I'm not seeing an easy solution right now. I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks.
679 posts
Hey MathieuLeclaire,

does the budget need to exist before the clustering takes place? Spending a budget on each cluster of points might be easier and might give you better control. Check my example file.

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - Sept. 16, 2020 02:57:26

Attachments:
ClusterBudget.hiplc (147.1 KB)

• Quick Links