2d image effects

4237   4   1
66 posts
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ghe01.html [thegnomonworkshop.com]

I am on a mac for now so i can't really test Hou. Till i can learn linux. The picture on the cover looks cool. It says Hou. can work with 2d image is this correct? I mean What all can you do to a 2d image and can you use .avi files or QT files to edit with and add effects?

What is a mandra token i keep seeing it but have no idea what it is.

Does Hou. cost more money the more CPU you add during rendering? know what i mean?

How much Video training can i get for $7,000 just video training no models or anything else. Before you say warez post troll post. I am just a normal home user that works on a oil rig out at sea. After looking at the price drop i just can't see buying maya or anything else to learn on.
1631 posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. You can perform some functions and/or effects to sequence of images but not .avi or QT files. It's not like After Effects or Digital Fusion which are more geared towards motion graphics and/or digital video effects. This is not to say Houdini can't do motion graphics but it will not be as efficient.

Houdini is a 3D animation program first & foremost however users can integrate the image editor into their work if they want to. You can perform some effects on an image which you then use to modify geometry, colour geometry to control birthing of particles etc. I can go on & on.

mantra is the name of Houdini's renderer. A mantra token is a rendering license so the more tokens you have, the more CPUs you can use to render.

You don't have to pay if you want to learn Houdini. You can download Houdini Apprentice which is free for non-commercial use. Go to the Learning menu above & click on Houdini Apprentice.

There is free video training available through 3D Buzz and there are also other videos available but please search through the forum for the links.

Good luck!

Cheers!
steven
66 posts
To be honest I did look at 3d buzz the tuts are old well most of them but i got an idea. I am not all there in the head if you know what i mean i have a learning curve. I'm on prozac right now. I have to learn everything through a video. i can not read a manual and grap the math as easy. It did not take long to save up the money but the 7k has to go to video training. It has too. That is a very important to me as to how much i can get. I have shake 4.1 and tryed to learn the warper node i read the manual but even after reading it i was lost i found a video and was doing my thing in about 1 day. I learn with videos. Thanks for your answer that really helped alot.
234 posts
It did not take long to save up the money but the 7k has to go to video training. It has too. That is a very important to me as to how much i can get

well, it is a quite a lot of money for video tuts…
I think that you can buy all houdini things for several hundreds..
cmivfx's 3DVDs about houdini are $171
the book Magic of houdini is $32
gnomon's 2dvds are around $100

and that is 300$ for everything

then you have great amount of free things:
sidefx tutorials [sidefx.com];
buzz is old but still good;
a lot of material on forums here and on odforce.net;

old school blog [sidefx.com];
www.houdinitools.com

I forgot something for sure

Also you can take a look on ‘'live’' houdini trainings, since that is great way to learn…

So for houdini you definitely do not need 7k for tutorials.
66 posts
Thanks for the links i will be checking into them. I will also send you a PM later on tonight.
  • Quick Links