Solaris/usd and vdbs, slow to write out

5125   8   2
575 posts
Hello,
I want to write usds that have volumes and this takes quite some time, compared to abc references.
There is not any additional data in the resulting usda file, for example bounds. just the samples and the file path.
is there any way to speed this up. the rest is more or less immediately written to disk

thank You
Martin
120 posts
Is this volume being imported to LOPs with SOP Import or Volume where you specify path to VDB?
Michal Tas Maciejewski @ www.vfxtricks.com
575 posts
I use the volumeLOP to load it into solaris
120 posts
When VolumeLOP loads VDB from disk, it needs to load it and parse it for existing volumes(density, vel, temp, etc). The bigger the file, the longer it will take, and that happens per frame.

I had the same issue. To solve it, I started saving VDBs to disk as a USD. This way all necessary info is written to USD while data is in memory. Then I can reference that USD file in LOPs at very high speed.
575 posts
Thank You Michal, that would be my next step, but the departments, that use our stuff need vdbs as well. we are kind of sitting between to chairs . maybe it makes sense to run both exports on the farm.

much appreciated
Martin
120 posts
give it a try. You will notice that VDB will be written as usual, alongside with USD. So you get both !
575 posts
Cool, thanks again for this
45 posts
tas3d
give it a try. You will notice that VDB will be written as usual, alongside with USD. So you get both !

Hi,
I'm currently working on the same topic.

Is there a way to specify an explicit path for the volumes,which are automatically created during the generation of the .usds.

Right now it looks like this.

Preferably they would all lay next to the .usd files with the same name. Or at least all in one folder with a specific name.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers Martin
Edited by louisx - Nov. 4, 2021 18:39:17

Attachments:
usd_volumes_directory.png (41.2 KB)

120 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini18.5/solaris/sop_import.html#vols [www.sidefx.com]

I think this attib can help

"You can assign a SOP attribute named usdvolumesavepath to specify a custom path to save the volume file to when using the USD ROP. This attribute is translated into the HoudiniSavePath metadata on the USD field prim."
  • Quick Links