Multi-Material USD - what's wrong here?

1745   2   0
36 posts
Hello, after searching for almost two days for a solution, I give up...

I have a usd file, exported from 3dsmax with one object which shows up in Houdini as expected with two materials.
When I import this file back into 3dsmax or Maya everything is fine and I get the two materials.

But when I try to build the same setup in Houdini, none of the materials show up in 3dsmax or Maya.

So I tried comparing the max-usd export to the houdini-usd to find out what's wrong but I have no idea.
My guess is that the assignment has to be done a bit different from what I am doing. (For whatever reason it works with only one material assigned...)

I also figured out that max/maya only eat their own export correctly by using the USD-Preview Shader...

I uploaded the three files, hoping that somebody could help me to figure out the difference or how to set it up correctly.

Thanks
Felix
Edited by Fele - Oct. 16, 2021 04:00:00

Attachments:
multi-material.hiplc (121.9 KB)
square_triangle_from_houdini.usd (2.3 KB)
square_triangle_from_max.usd (3.5 KB)

36 posts
Okay I finally figured it out...
It looks there is an issue with the "familyName" of the subsets... Apparently this needs to be set to "materialBind", so instead of using the @shop_material attribute as partition for the groups I created a primitive attribute on SOP level (s@materialBind = s@shop_materialpath) and used this...
4 posts
Hello! Can you describe this method more detail, pleace ?
  • Quick Links