Can assign material by reference?

1665   4   0
622 posts
Hi,

I test assign material by reference but failed.
Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments:
ref assign mat.png (1.2 MB)
ref mat.hipnc (76.4 KB)

18 posts
I think the material doesn't show up because it is not referenced along with /cube into the main scene.

If you want to just reference cube and material you can put them under the same path and reference that path instead.

But if what you want is to have a live reference between /cube/materials and /materials, you can try inherit.

Image Not Found

Attachments:
ref mat.hipnc (132.8 KB)

622 posts
Thanks for your reply!

Does material binding not obey the reference composition arc rule like other attributes?
In this case, the Size attribute opinion is adopted but not for material binding.

Attachments:
ref comp.png (768.4 KB)
ref comp.hipnc (76.3 KB)

274 posts
jerry7
Does material binding not obey the reference composition arc rule like other attributes?

Yes it does, however a reference can only pull in a single prim from the reference input. In your case you have two root prims - /box and /materials and the reference lop is auto-selecting /box, leaving /materials behind. If you place them under a common parent ("/X" in the screen shot below) it works.

On the referencing side it has to happen in a similar way - you need to apply "/X" to a common primitive so that "/X/box" maps to its target correctly ("/Box" in the screen shot, therefore "/Box/box) in order to pick up the stronger opinions.

Edited by antc - Nov. 22, 2021 20:48:22

Attachments:
singlereference.png (318.6 KB)

622 posts
Thank you very much!
  • Quick Links