Reconnect HDA between UE4 level and saved Houdini scene

1221   1   0
8 posts
Hi,

A rather basic question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. So I get the Houdini Engine (19.0.531) to work flawlessly with UE4 when I do the usual, i.e. click on "Open Houdini Session Sync", then dropping a Houdini HDA into the respective Unreal level.

However, my issue is, what if I shut down the Unreal project and Houdini, but would like to work exactly where I left off at a later point? There doesn't seem to be a way to re-sync a HDA (that is already in a scene) or a Houdini scene (that was generated by UE4 via the Houdini engine and then saved).

It seems like the only way to enable Session Sync is by creating a new session and then dropping a new instance of the HDA into a level. Is that correct, or am I missing something? It would be pretty weird if there was no way to 're-sync' a level full of HDAs back to Houdini after the fact.

If someone could help me with this, that'd be much appreciated :-)
Edited by Ferdinand13 - March 6, 2022 05:20:25
8 posts
Small correction, I now noticed that when selecting the HDAs in a level and selecting "Rebuild Selected" from the context menu in the World Outliner, they pop up in any new Houdini scene you generate via the session - that's already good to know.

HOWEVER, they do appear right at the origin inside Houdini, even if their position is somewhere completely different in the Unreal level. They 'jump' to where they're supposed to be inside Houdini, once you move the assets inside Unreal, but that's also a bit of a nuisance. Shouldn't they appear at the correct location inside Houdini once you click on "Rebuild Selected"?

Also, this solves one side of my question - i.e. re-establishing the layout of a level full of HDAs inside Houdini using Session Sync.

However, what about saving the scene that was being generated inside Houdini. There is an option to "Save Houdini scene" under the Houdini Engine menu inside Unreal, but while that does generate an exact HIP file copy of the HDAs and their position inside the level, there is no way to resync the level inside Unreal to that saved project file inside Houdini. Once I click on "Rebuild Selected" inside Unreal, it results in a second set of HDAs being generated.

Maybe I'm just not using Session Sync properly :-D But to my logic it would make a lot of sense to be able to resync Houdini projects to UE levels and have the repositioning of the HDAs and the changes in parameters be reflected on both sides again.
  • Quick Links