python read the help info of houdini

719   2   1
6 posts
hi all,
I am making a tool use python, it need to read the help info(while mouse hover the param). it's clearness in decument, but it doesn't work. when I call the function 'hou.parm.parmTemplate.help', it return empty. but it worked when I create a param by myself and use the hou.parm.parmTemplate.setHelp function to set help value, I can get the value use hou.parm.parmTemplate.help function. but I can't modify or get the help value of origin param. I don't know if need set some switch, I'm confused.
1914 posts
So Houdini's UI is able to various bits of magic to pull parameter help from a node's help card if it exists there and there is no actual parameter defined help string, which is what you're seeing. I believe actually getting that information is technically possible (I think) but I've since lost access to previous emails/support issues where I had discussed various help related data access with SideFX. There's a lot of help related Python code in $HH/python3.Xlibs/houdinihelp that may point you in the right direction to be able to extract the information you're looking for.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
6 posts
I don't know what happend in houdini, or some operates is forbided. I found some topics use python can't change some params also, but haven't get useful info. thanks for your answer.
Edited by zjim - Oct. 15, 2022 02:02:09
  • Quick Links