Karma noise

2230   4   4
133 posts
Hello - is there an option to have static noise like they have in Octane? This noramally means being able to get away with more noise in a render because it's not dancing about during an animation so much less noticable.
Or is the only option to properly sample renders to eliminate noise? And of course use noise reduction algos?

Thanks
Edited by Hatchery - Oct. 17, 2022 07:04:14
Love Houdini
133 posts
This is what i mean - quick test sample from Octane, one with static noise enabled.
You can see the noise is just as bad, but far less distracting. Really no idea if this can be done in Karma, but it would be a really nice.

Attachments:
Octane_Standard_Noise.gif (11.3 MB)
Octane_Static_Noise.gif (2.7 MB)

Love Houdini
Staff
4164 posts
You can add --lock-random 0to the husk command line, or add it to the Render Command parm on a USD Render ROP.

Attachments:
usdrender_lock_noise_seed.png (84.2 KB)

I'm o.d.d.
133 posts
oh brilliant! - i'm not near a copy of Houdini for a few days now but will deffo be giving this a try! Thank you so much for responding.

I know static noise is not always desirable, and my example was very extreem, but for indie users with limited processing power, i've found it to be such a useful option in Octane, but really want to make the gradual switch to Karma/Solaris.
Edited by Hatchery - Oct. 23, 2022 07:34:27
Love Houdini
288 posts
goldleaf
You can add --lock-random 0to the husk command line, or add it to the Render Command parm on a USD Render ROP.

is it possible to enable this for the viewport IPR as well? for like rendering a viewport grab to mplay?
https://www.thomaskchristensen.com [www.thomaskchristensen.com]
  • Quick Links